Finally, after a five year wait, the EURO 2020 tournament starts today, and yes we’re already excited about it here at 442gh.com
Every matchday of the tournament, our team shall put through interesting perspectives in writeups alongside picks for various matches for not just your reading pleasure but to enhance your betting experience (this one is for the punters 😉)
442gh.com will piece together our picks and all series coverage, plus the latest odds, all in one place for you our cherished reader to easily digest and follow.
Let’s commence with today’s only game: the Group A opener between Turkey and Italy
The opening game of EURO 2020 sees Turkey face off against Italy at the Stadio Olimpico.
The Italians by enjoying home advantage will enter this match seeking a win, while Turkey are looking to avoid defeat in their opening match of the competition at the fifth time of asking.
Coach Roberto Mancini continues to iron out the flaws in the Italian team and they are currently unbeaten in 27 matches while scoring 70 goals in the process and conceding just 14 under his tutelage.
In Turkey, the Italians face a resilient opponent who are fast rising under the much revered Şenol Güneş. The legendary Turkish Coach has assembled a decent side capable of ruffling feathers on their day.
Turkey cruised through to the Euros having taken 4 points from World Cup-winners France and conceding just three times during qualifying. They kept eight clean sheets throughout the 10-game process indicative of the fact that they aren’t pushovers.
SOME STATS & FACTS:
🇮🇹 Italy have never lost to Turkey in ten previous matches (W7 D3) and have suffered only one defeat in their 8 opening matches at a EURO final tournament since 1980 (W3 D4) – 3-0 against the Netherlands in 2008.
🇹🇷 Turkey have qualified for 4 previous EURO final tournaments and reached the knockout stages twice. It hurts to say this, but they have lost their opening fixture in all four previous finals appearances, and have managed only one Matchday 1 goal, against Italy in 2000.
HEAD TO HEAD
Italy 🇮🇹 and Turkey 🇹🇷 will meet for the second time at a EURO final tournament. Italy prevailed 2-1 in their opening fixture at UEFA EURO 2000. On that occasions both teams qualified from their group with Italy losing the the final to France while Turkey could only reach the quarter finals.
• Italy kept clean sheets in each of their first 5 fixtures against Turkey, but have conceded one goal in each of the last five.
• The teams’ 2 most recent games have both been 1-1 friendly draws on Italian soil, in November 2002 – when Turkey were coached by current boss Şenol Güneş – and four years later, when Antonio Di Natale’s 39th-minute opener was cancelled out by a Marco Materazzi own goal three minutes later.
• Turkey coach Şenol Güneş was the goalkeeper of the Turkey team beaten 1-0 by Italy in a friendly on 23 September 1978.
FORM GUIDE (most recent first)
EURO FACTS: Turkey 🇹🇷
• This is Turkey’s 5th appearance at a UEFA European Championship. They made their debut in 1996. Their best achievement was in reaching the semi finals of UEFA EURO 2008.
EURO FACTS: Italy 🇮🇹
• This is Italy’s 10th EURO final tournament and their 7th in a row.
• Italy triumphed on home soil at the 1968 UEFA European Championship and have been runners-up twice since – in 2000 and 2012.
• Italy got as far as the quarter-finals at UEFA EURO 2016, losing to Germany 6-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.
Turkey possible starting XI:
Cakir; Celik, Demiral, Soyuncu, Meras; Yokuslu; Calhanoglu, Tufan, Under; Yazici; Yilmaz
Italy possible starting XI: Donnarumma; Florenzi, Bonucci, Chiellini, Spinazzola; Barella, Jorginho, Locatelli; Berardi, Immobile, Insigne
We are backing this game to end in a scoring draw.
BetWay is offering a a juicy 5.52 odd on a combo bet on both teams to score and the game ending in a draw.
Find out more on Betway.com.gh
Today’s Betting Code: 1BCDD59A
The code guarantees total odds of 15.05 odds. (Odds correct as at the type of writing, subject to change depending on bookmaker)